The New Central Station in Brownwood Texas, is a mixture of historical details and modern technologies. Located across the street from the historical Santa Fe Railroad station built in 1909 and the Harvey House Restaurant and Hotel built in 1911, the new fire station is a much needed addition to the city’s infrastructure. The arches of the 4 pull-through apparatus bays, beautiful brick detailing, exterior light fixtures, and soffit brackets all pay homage to the stations historical neighbor.
In addition to the historical details of the building’s facade BRW incorporated many features of the department’s history throughout the facility. A memorial to a fallen comrade and several department photographs are all displayed in custom cases in the entry tower. While an evolution of fire hydrants is displayed along the front entrance along with the original signage from the first Brownwood Station #1. Bricks salvaged from other historic city projects line the public walkway into the station and a time-capsule about the department’s history was sealed in the new facilities walls during construction.