The City of Lewisville’s Fire Station No. 7 was designed to increase response time and convey a sense of pride within the community. Its central location at the intersection of two major highways enables the department’s ladder truck to move throughout the city at a much faster rate. The site is also on the edge of a historic preservation and revitalization district that helps connect the station to the culture and community of Lewisville itself.
The station’s design depicts historic aspects of fire stations from the early 1900’s in form, detailing, and materials. Traditional elements, such as a tower and vertical height, though not necessary today, use the same vocabulary as turn of the century firehouses in an effort to recall the pride of earlier stations. Bi-fold bay doors under arched openings are not only historical, but also reduce the risk of damage due to premature apparatus departures. Three extra deep bays and sleeping for 12 provides flexibility for future needs. An open floor plan streamlines daily operations throughout the living spaces to encourage social interaction among personnel. This facility also serves to centralize the city’s fire and EMS vehicle maintenance.