Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU) requested Brown Reynolds Watford Architects to conduct an on-site study to determine the condition of various lab facilities at the university. The purpose of the project was to review the scope of the renovation to the Chemical Storage Room and the Goat Farm Research Center Laboratory. This information was utilized by Prairie View A&M University to verify the needed renovation of the space. BRW Architects has completed a full renovation of these existing facilities.
The Agricultural Research Chemical Storage Room is located in the Jessie & Mary Gibbs Jones Agricultural Research Building on the campus of Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas. The facility was built in 1988. The Goat Farm Research Center Laboratory is located on the campus of Prairie View A&M University in Prairie View, Texas. The facility was built in 1980 and renovated in 2006.
Partial List of Modifications to these facilities include:
- Provide new door seals at interior and exterior doors.
- Replace existing casework at sink location, and provide chemical resistant resin countertop and sink.
- Remove existing chemical storage cabinets and provide new flammable chemical storage cabinets.
- Provide chemical resistant resin shelving for storage of waste materials.
- Remove existing exhaust air system and provide new system to remove chemical fumes and prevent infiltration.
- Provide underground basin for contaminated discharge.
- Replace existing ceiling mounted fluorescent lighting fixtures with explosion-proof fluorescent lighting fixtures.
- Provide automated warning system.
- Remove/replace existing casework and countertops.
- Remove/replace existing sinks and reconfigure plumbing.
- Remove existing dishwasher from island and cap line.
- Provide F.R.P. at all walls and epoxy floor finish.
- Remove/replace existing emergency eyewash and shower.
- Provide quad electrical outlets with dedicated outlets.
- Provide new fluorescent lighting throughout with dual switching capabilities.