DISD Woodrow Wilson High School – Phase II STEAM Addition & Competition Gym
The existing high school today is approximately 182,260 gross square feet on an 18 acre parcel of land at 100 S. Glasgow Drive at the corner of S. Glasgow Dr. and Reiger Ave. The original historic structure was completed in 1926 with renovations and additions following in 1953, 1979, 1996 and 2005. The last major Addition designed by BRW Architects completed in 2012 houses eight new classrooms, six new science laboratories, a robotics office, faculty workroom, and a state-of-the-art Drama Classroom | Black Box Theater, complete with a scene shop and dressing rooms. Also, during this addition, extensive renovation work was performed to restore the historic landmark building including window and brick restoration, exterior door and decorative bronze light refurbishments/replacements.
BRW will retain ground area by eliminating part of the incompatible one story 1953 and 1979 additions and constructing a three story addition saving campus area and solving egress issues of the original 1926 building. The addition will blend with the 2012 wing and take architectural cues from and remain sensitive to the historic original structure, while providing a modern counterpoint. The three story classroom addition will provide 24 teaching spaces and a new competition Gym with 1,500 seating capacity, competition court, two practice courts and support locker rooms and storage for Athletics. The overall condition of the facility is functioning, however the number and size of most classrooms and program spaces are undersized in comparison to the current DISD Educational Standards and also do not meet the needs of the Board Approved International Baccalaureate application. In addition to general classrooms, Art, Ceramics and Engineering classrooms will be added.